Arthritis causes a pain and inflammation of your joints. There are 3 main kinds affecting the ankle, foot and knee. Osteoarthritis impacts middle-aged people and leads to a tear and wear of the joints. The next type is rheumatoid arthritis which is an inflammatory disease resulted from a malfunctioning immune system. With post-traumatic arthritis, it could be caused after an injury such as a fracture, a severe pain or a ligament injury occurring on the knee, foot and ankle.
Some common symptoms of arthritis include pain or tenderness of the joint, decrease motion, swelling, stiffness, and difficulty in walking. Treatment often depends on the kind of arthritis, the joints affected and its severity.
Non-surgical treatments include pain and anti-inflammatory medications, ankle-foot orthosis, shoe inserts, custom-made shoes, weight loss, physiotherapy and exercise, using a brace or cane, and so on. If arthritis does not respond to these treatments, then surgery might be suggested.
There is something that you need to do more to change things, apart from medications. One step you could take is to change your lifestyle and take the foods helping prevent inflammation of the joints. Turmeric is considered one of them.
When it comes to turmeric, it is a bright yellow herb which has been used in dyes, cooking and Ayurvedic medicine in China and India for over 2,000 years. Anecdotal evidence points to its efficiency for the treatment of a lot of conditions and diseases, particularly those related to inflammation of the soft tissue in cases of arthritis. More recently, this plant has drawn lots of attention from Western health experts for arthritis treatment. Bascially, turmeric when used as a spice in food is generally safe for everyone. Nonetheless, turmeric could also result in some side effects, particularly thinning of the blood. You should not combine it with the medications which are used for thinning the blood, like warfarin and Coumadin. It is always better for you to consult your doctor before beginning this herbal treatment.
Before using turmeric for arthritis, you should know if turmeric is really good for arthritis pain or not. Take a look on how to use turmeric for arthritis pain below !
How Good Is Turmeric For Arthritis?
Turmeric has many natural properties which is good for arthritis pain:
- Turmeric has natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidants which help keep the joints and bones healthy.
- Also, turmeric detoxifies the human body to eliminate free radicals contributing to pain of arthritis.
- Curcumin is an active ingredient in turmeric which helps relieve tenderness, pain and swelling of your joints.
- Turmeric also blocks some types of enzymes as well as cytokines which result in inflammation.
- Besides, turmeric could also reduce stiffness to let for more comfortable joint mobility.
- It is researched that curcumin in turmeric also lower the histamine levels and enhance the production of natural cortisone due to the adrenal glands.
Turmeric Is Considered Safe Than NSAIDs
Because NSAIDs could cause cardiovascular and gastric problems, liver and kidney damage, curcumin is studied as an alternative, safe treatment for arthritis that impacts ankle, knee, and other joints. Sufferers with osteoarthritis, who were given 200mg a day of curcumin, reported that they had better mobility as well as alleviated pain. Curcumin is said to impact about 700 genes preventing inflammation of the joints.
In reality, turmeric is very well-known in India and has been used in Indian Ayurvedic as well as Chinese medicine to deal with arthritis thanks to its non-toxic feature and with nearly no side effects.
Turmeric dosage often varies from person to person depended on different factors. Furthermore, turmeric dosage is not like dosage of modern medicine. The normal dosage for osteoarthritis is about 500mg twice per day of Indena, Meriva – a specific extract of turmeric and 500mg four times per day of non-commercial turmeric extracts. The common powdered turmeric root dosage is from 0.5 to 1 gram that could go up to 3 gram every day. It has been suggested that those turmeric capsules have much better efficacy than those tablets. The stabilizer is added and tablets also go through a process of heating. As a result, this reduces their potency.
It is recommended to include turmeric into your regular diet. It acts as a curative and preventive method, preventing from potential future disorders whilst helping cure the available ones.
How To Use Turmeric For Arthritis
You should buy turmeric in large amount in order to make use of turmeric for arthritis pain so you could use at least 1 teaspoon in your daily cooking, and try out all methods mentioned below till you find the most suitable one for you.
1. Turmeric Only
- Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of turmeric daily on the scrambled eggs and add it to your sauces, soups, and salad dressings.
- Then, after one week, you increase the intake of turmeric to ½ teaspoon
- Next, after 1 month, you increase that intake to 1 teaspoon
- Apply this method every day to prevent the joint inflammation and pain
- As an alternative, stir one tablespoon of turmeric into one glass of warm milk and drink this during night time in order to get comfortable sleep without pain.
2. Turmeric, Coconut Oil, Egg Yolk
You can combine coconut oil, egg yolk and turmeric for arthritis pain relief. What you need to is:
- Melt 2 coconut oil teaspoons
- Separate 2 egg yolks and beat them till smooth
- Put them into the mixture of 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil and turmeric before stirring all up.
- Put this mixture in a blender with high level for about 30 minutes
- Drink twice per day to treat arthritis
3. Turmeric & Water
Here are necessary steps to make use of water and turmeric for arthritis pain:
- Boil ¼ cup of water and put 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder into
- Decrease the heat and simmer for 10 minutes in order to create a curcumin solution
- Drink it after it gets cool
- Repeat the routine once per day
After 4 hours, the curcumin percentage will drop from 10% to 6% and steadily lower over time; hence, you should drink this right after making it.
4. Turmeric & Lemon Grass
- Preheat the oven to about 150 degrees
- Take 2 cups of coconut oil to melt up and pour it into the glass oven dish
- Then, mix 5 tablespoons each of turmeric powder and cayenne pepper with 1 ounce of dried lemon grass into the coconut oil
- After that, bake for about 3 to 5 hours, then remove from the oven and let it cool
- Use a cheesecloth to strain it up
- Store it at the room temperature in the airtight container
- Use this ointment for your painful joints when you need
5. Turmeric & Ginger
In regard to home remedies for arthritis pain using turmeric, combining ginger with turmeric is a good option.
- Boil about 2 water cups and put one inch each of peeled and grated turmeric root and ginger root. If not, use ½ teaspoon each of powdered turmeric and ginger
- Decrease the heat and let it simmer 10 minutes
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- After straining it up, you add honey or any other sweeteners to improve the taste and drink
6. Turmeric & Fenugreek
- Mix the same quantities of turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and ginger powder together
- Stir one teaspoon of the mixture into one glass of hot water
- Drink it twice per day to get a final relief from arthritis pain
7. Turmeric & Coconut Oil
- Mix a small amount of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of the turmeric powder to create a good paste
- Apply the paste over your painful joints before covering them with bandage
- After 3 hours, rinse it off with water
- Repeat the routine whenever you need
8. Turmeric & DMSO Solution
- Take 99% Dimethyl Sulfate and dilute it water equal to 30% of DMSO amount so that you can have a 70% Dimethyl Sulfate solution.
- Then, mix 1 tablespoon of 70% DMSO solution with about 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder to create a good paste
- Take the combination to rub into your painful joints, wait till it dry
- Rinse if off with water
- Alternatively, you can wrap it in plastic, apply the heating pad and wait for 30 minutes
- In case you feel an irritation in the skin, then add more water to the mixture
9. Turmeric, Saltpeter And Powdered Lime
Another way to use turmeric for arthritis pain is mixing it with 2 other ingredients which are powdered lime and saltpeter.
- Mix the same amount of powdered lime, turmeric and saltpeter to create a paste
- Apply that paste over your sore joints, wait for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- Try to apply it regularly to get the best results possible.
10. Turmeric & Lime Juice
- Mix turmeric and lime juice with the ratio of 2:1
- Add the mixture to a small amount of the boiling water to create an alike paste
- Apply it over your painful joints, wait for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- Repeat it regularly to relieve your pain
Leave your comments if you like this blog ^^