In fact, hydrogen peroxide has been used as a method to treat ear infections, ear aches and more. This is a liquid which is very pale blue in color. Being a highly reactive chemical, hydrogen peroxide has the formulation of H202. You could find hydrogen peroxide in over the counter drug stores. It is inexpensive. Oftentimes, it is used in households for scrapes and cuts as it helps promote quick healing.
This is a wonderful option to your medicine cabinet or first aid kit. In order to know how to use hydrogen peroxide for ear infections properly, you should acknowledge some basics about ear infections.
Ear infections could happen in 3 areas of the ear, which are external ear, middle ear and internal ear. Among these three kinds, external ear (otitis media) is the most popular problem. Often, people suffer from an ear infection after getting a cold, because this condition could lead to swelling of the small tube, named Eustachian tube which connects the middle ear to the pharynx. This swollen tube is prone to get blocked and traps the fluid within the ear, providing an ideal environment for the development of germs and bacteria. This ultimately causes an infection.
There are three types of bacteria causing most cases of ear infections. Various bacteria respond to various antibiotics. The single sure fire way to tell if an infection is bacterial is using a needle to suck some of the pus from behind ear drum. It is something that we general pediatricians basically do not do. Rather than, we just make an educated guess.
How to use hydrogen peroxide for ear infections
Now, it is time for you to refer the steps on how to use hydrogen peroxide for ear infections below:
Remember that just 3% hydrogen peroxide should be used to treat infections and wounds. A solution with higher percent is basically used in the industrial field and not suitable for medicinal purposes. Hydrogen peroxide is basically used to treat external ear infection and remove strange bodies trapped inside the ear. Thanks to the effervescence reaction of hydrogen peroxide, it helps bring out the trapped foreign bodies, so that they could be eliminated easily in order to prevent any type of infection. Here are detailed steps on how to use hydrogen peroxide for ear infections:
• Prepare a dropper
• Tilt your head to one side (let your infected ear facing upwards) to make it easier for hydrogen peroxide to be dripped into your infected ear.
• Put 2-3 drops of hydrogen peroxide solution into your ear canal. In case your skin is sensitive, you could dilute 2-3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in one teaspoon of water before instilling with help of a dropper. You may feel an effervescing / bubbly sensation, it will appear like a foam. Allow the effervescing stop on itself. This may take approximately 10 to 15 minutes. In case the tingling / stinging sensation happens, you can rinse the dropper with clean water and then use it to rinse your infected ear.
• Now, tilt the head to the other side to let that solution flow out. Dab the ear with tissue in order to eliminate any remaining residue of the solution.
• After one day or two, you pour a small amount of warm water in the ear to help extract the dirt and wax accumulated.
• In case the ear wax is deep set and the infections still remain, you should continue applying this treatment 3 – 4 times per day till your ear gets clear.
Note: Individuals with a sensitive ear canal should not choose this procedure. In addition, before using hydrogen peroxide for ear infections, just make sure that your eardrums are not perforated.
Some Tips For Ear Infection
• Wash the hands clearly often, particularly before eating and after using the bathroom.
• Take proper measures to prevent allergies, common cold, and respiratory problems
• Teach kids to cover their own mouths when coughing or sneezing
• Keep kids away from people with ear infections
• Take plenty of rest
• Stop smoking
• Ask your doctor about pneumococcal vaccinations and flu shots. They help prevent ear infections.
• Avoid pacifiers as they spread the bacteria causing an ear infection
• Clean the outside area of the ear with a cotton swab frequently
• Pour several drops of H2O2 to the ear to remove excess fluids and kill infection
• Take probiotics to improve proper digestion
• Don’t take probiotics without following instructions of healthcare professionals.
• Yawn to open up Eustachian tubes.
Some information in this article is referred from WebMD and Top10Homeremedies.
Leave your comments if you like this blog ^^